Saturday, September 25, 2004

This is why I'm here

Yesterday after work, a group of us from UVI went over to Fredericksted, hoping to go to the "Sunset Jazz" festival. KK took me by ML's house in her late-model Mustang WITH the top down, and I hurriedly changed from my library duds to something sexier. I wore the tight black jeans I got from Casual Corner (the ones that make me look and feel like I'm size 10); the "Where'd you get those fabulous shoes?" T-shirt, which has sequins and bugle beads on it; and my wild and wonderful "Gumby" shoes, sequined and fuchia-colored, which not only make me at least 2" taller but also make me happy, happy, happy!

When we got to F'sted, we discovered that we apparently were functioning a day too early, as no one was there to set up equipment by the old fort where the Sunset Jazz festival is usually held. [Later, when I looked at the newspaper, I found that the music and festivities are taking place tonight (9/25) instead of yesterday.] Undismayed, we hopped into our respective cars and drove on down the road a little bit to an outdoor restaurant and bar that was featuring a local combo for the evening. Seven of us, including a department head, her husband, three professors, one librarian [me!], and an ROTC rep, gathered around two tables pushed together to accommodate us all.

Some of us ordered food and drinks, others ordered only drinks. Because I had eaten earlier in the afternoon, I ordered only a margarita. Several of us in the group had gone to the monthly faculty colloquium at 4 pm, where we were privileged to hear a short story being read by a local writer. Very evocative, very heartfelt. Quacamole, veggies, cheese, crackers, grapes, and beverages were served after the reading, giving us an opportunity to chat informally with the author for a while. Thus, I was still sated by the time we assembled at the restaurant/bar.

One margarita led to two, the conversation flowed, and the music got better and better. Although only two people made up the combo, they played ably and enthusiastically. The lead singer was a stunning Black woman with an extraordinary range and a vast repertoire of songs: Motown hits and the Beatles, Rock and Big Band sounds, Reggae and Calypso, lullabies like "Summertime," and everything in between. Naturally, my feet started twitching and the bod wiggling. I couldn't sit still. As all my friends know, I had to dance! And dance I did till I was wringing wet. A great way to work off two margaritas, eh?

When I finally sat down again during the band's break, I could hear the sound of the surf crashing on the nearby shore. All around me were twinkling lights . . . in the restaurant, on boats anchored out in the water, reflected from thousands of stars in the sky, even in the surging seafoam. Palm trees and sand, weathered wooden planks underfoot, white plastic chairs and tables, and umbrellas for day shade and night showers made up the rest of the scenery. The customers, local islanders all, were out in force with their kids and dogs. Everyone looked tan and healthy.

It came to me in a rush. This is why I'm here. Thank you, God.

No comments: