Today, as I expected, was a screamer, starting from the moment I got up. In fact, I worked all night long and didn't make it to bed until 7:30 am this morning, and then I only slept until about 1:15 pm. After that, all I did was work and work and work some more, getting my house and my belongings ready so I could leave for my new job and lifestyle in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Thank goodness for my friends! MG came by with chips and salsa she had bought in Dallas. I'm telling you, that woman is a ball of fire! She really got me back on track. What a woman! First, she took a huge load of books, encyclopedias, and magazines to the library downtown for me. Then, we loaded her car up again with empty notebooks, craft stuff, and whatever else I could find for her underprivileged students in Hearne. We also crammed the recycling stuff in the back seat of her beautiful car and ferried that to the Super Walmart, stopping by the post office on the way home so I could mail a bunch of bills, including the all-important payment on my house.
When we got back to my house, I found even more stuff for her to take to her students. It is really gratifying to pass things on to others who need and can use them. For example, on top of one of the bookcases in my study, I have four boxes that I bought to store photos but instead are chockful of markers, colored pencils, pencils, pens, erasers, and other writing or drawing implements. I dumped the entire kit and kaboodle into a large plastic bag and told her to take it, take it, take it! I want all of that stuff out of my house once and for all and living a useful life somewhere!
AV and BS stopped by later in the day to give me big hugs. Actually, MG and I found them already at my house when we got back from running my errands. Cleo came with them, too, of course. She's one of my favorite little doggie friends. She's so cute and smart. :-) After a while, KC showed up, and they chatted about Fiesta Patrias business while I continued to pack and move and shift stuff around.
The garage is still a mess, but my study and bedroom are in pretty good shape. Both of my suitcases are packed, although I couldn't get all of my shoes in. It's just as well since I'll have shoes to wear when I come home at Christmas. I'm also leaving behind my sweatshirts, sweaters, coats, flannel pajamas, long nighties, and so on. Who needs them in the balmy tropics?!
From what I could ascertain at American Airline's Web site, I have to check in 1-1/2 hours ahead of time for an international flight. The U.S. Virgin Islands are considered international even though they are "owned" by the U.S. Because my plane leaves at 6:35 am, I have to be at McKenzie Terminal around 5 am. UGH! I hate early morning flights!
It's 3:45 am now, so I might as well not even go to bed. I guess I'll take a shower and get dressed. Then I can close up the suitcase with the broken lock and tape it shut. I can't find the keys to it anyway. I bought the wrong battery for my camera, alas, but I don't have time to run to Walmart and exchange the darn thing before I leave. It will probably be awhile before I can get the right size battery since I won't have transportation in the islands once I arrive, and weeks may pass before I can do any shopping at the K-Mart on STX.
Sigh . . . I'm tired . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment