The longer we remain without electrical power at ML's house, the more sympathy I feel for people around the world who do not have access to electricity, either because they are poor, or because their countries are undeveloped, or because access has been disrupted by war or natural disasters. Electricity is an incredible luxury that far too many people who have it take for granted.
After going to bed at dark the first night, and writing by kerosene lamp the second; after taking three "bucket baths" with cold rain water; after having most of our food spoil for lack of refrigeration; after spending several days and nights without television or radio, I am ready for the power to come back on. And I realize that I am one of the lucky ones because I know it is just a matter of time -- and a relatively short time at that -- before the power will be restored to ML's house.
Yet there are people in the world who have gone without electricity all their lives because the infrastructure for it has never been built in their countries. Still others have been without electricity for weeks and months, even years, at a time while wars were being waged within their borders, wars that have ravaged and continue to ravage, the electrical and communications grids. Yugoslavia, Sudan, Iraq, among others, come readily to mind. I feel for the people of these countries because I know their suffering is ongoing while mine is shortlived.
May God have mercy on us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment