Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Small world

It's definitely a small, small world after all! On the plane from DFW to PR, I met a very nice man (GC) sitting a couple of seats down from me. He too was headed to STX, which is his home. GC works at the refinery on STX (Hess Oil, formerly known as Hovensa). When I mentioned that I was going to be staying with a woman by the name of Mrs. BC, his eyes lit up. Apparently, Mrs. BC was his "second mother" while he was growing up. I couldn't believe it what a coincidence this was, especially since he was the only person on the entire plane that I spoke to!

GC and his wife AC were so kind as to give me a ride to Mrs. BC's house, which was great because I had no idea where to tell the taxi driver to go. I only had Mrs. BC's mailing address, a RR P.O. Box, not her actual street address with me. And everything was very dark outside the airport, despite the millions of stars in the sky. No moon and very few streetlights. I felt more than a little lost and strange, so it was nice to make a new friend and be given a helping hand on my first night here.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of islanders are nice like this. I certainly hope so. :-)

No comments: