Saturday, December 14, 2013

Accident prone?

I am becoming accident-prone, or at least it seems like it to me. I wrecked my car in April, then I pulled a muscle in my leg in the fall, and now I've taken a tumble while trying to ford the water flowing across our road ever since the rains started in October. The hematoma (bruise) now blooming on my right hip is as big as my hand, and the colors resemble those Georgia O'Keefe used in several of her paintings: blue, black, and purple studded with red. 

I was going to F'sted to catch the bus to Sunshine Mall because the VI Dept. of Health was hosting free flu and pneumonia shots Friday (the 13th, no less) from 9 am until 3 pm. I didn't want to take off my sneakers and socks, cross the "stream," dry my feet, and put my socks and shoes on again as I was already running a bit late, so I added a couple of rocks to a third one that looked pretty solid and proceeded to step quickly from one to the other. One, two, three, and  then PLOP!. Only it was more like WHAMO! Over I went like a felled tree! The 3rd rock, the one I couldn't reach, wasn't as embedded in the sand and gravel as it looked.

Dripping wet -- on my right side only -- I soldiered on and not only got my shots but a lot of exercise as well. It will be a wash-day miracle if I am able to remove the ground-in dirt out of the lovely, pure white, and brand-new overblouse I was wearing to keep from getting sunburned. Too bad the shoes and shirt and everything else about the day didn't come with a caution about old ladies hopping rocks to keep their feet dry, eh? LOL!

No comments: