As usual, sleep eluded me the night before my return to STX. I packed stuff all night long, so that everything would be ready for the post office first thing in the morning. However, I had a terrible nosebleed in the morning that wouldn't quit, it was 10 am before I made it to the post office. I sent everything off OK, though, with my son's help, and I made it to the check-in counter at Houston Intercontinental with only minutes to spare.
Before I left the house to drive to Houston, I grabbed some food out of the frig that I knew the kids wouldn't eat. While driving down the road, I managed to finish off a carton of cottage cheese and the avocados that come nowadays in hermetically sealed bags that take a chainsaw to open.
That left a carton of plain yogurt almost three-fourths full and a slice of cranberry nut bread. When I was climbing into my seat on the plane, however, I discovered that the lid had come off the carton and all the yogurt had spilled into one of my freshly washed tennis shoes, the ones with the sparkly silver stripes that I like so much. By the time I got to my new place in the rainforest late that night, the goo in my shoe had turned to cream cheese!
I promise that never again will I travel with such heavy luggage and so many carry-ons. From now on, I'll ship as much stuff as possible through the post office or UPS before I leave, no matter what it costs or how long it takes to get there. In addition, before I go home again, I'm going to buy some decent luggage. The 1980s-style suitcases that I've been using just don't cut it. Too heavy and unwieldy. Ugly too. And the tape bound around them to keep them closed sends another distinct message. Definitely not first class!
I'm pooped . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment