My new apartment is so cool! It's a studio apartment, actually a studio duplex. The building consists of two cottages stuck together in sort of a "T" shape. I'll be living in the top of the T, and an English prof who also works at UVI lives in the leg of the T.
My place has one big room, with a bathroom and closet carved out of one corner of the space. The wood shutters and wooden door on the outside are replicas of the ones built on Danish cottages in the 1700s and 1800s. The entire building is painted lemon yellow, and it is located on Mahogany Road in what is known as "the rainforest," which is not a "true" rainforest like Monteverde in Costa Rica.
I am deeply glad that I made the move there! It's a lot quieter than where I had been living on Golden Grove, and it's close to hiking trails, museums, restaurants, and beaches. It's wild and beautiful, too. The road is lined with immense mahogany and kapok trees as well as other island giants like rain trees, samans, genips, and so on. Vines dangle from the trees in a riot of cross-hatched lines, awaiting Tarzan and Jane to come swooping through.
A short distance from my house is a huge tree that blew over during Hurricane Hugo but didn't die. At least 30 feet of its immense trunk lies horizontal to the earth, but the rest of its enormous trunk has made a 90-degree turn to the sky. This tree draws me with its power, especially when I pass it at night on my way home from work. I feel as if age-old spirits gather around it in the evening to chat about the day's hap'nins.
No comments:
Post a Comment