I'm finding some lower fares for the August flight home through Travelocity and Orbitz. They still aren't as low as what a friend had found earlier, but they ain't bad. One was as low as $653 or $657. The one with the best travel time (only 4-1/2 hours) costs $757. I may jump on that one today.
The downside is that the return flight has a real tight connection time in San Juan, Puerto Rico, and that airport is a bear. Forty-eight minutes is just not enough time to deplane a jumbo, walk to the luggage area, claim one's baggage, go through customs, and then walk way the hell to another terminal to catch the connecting flight to STX. If the luggage goes straight through, then I don't have to do all the claim and customs stuff, but the likelihood of my luggage being on the same plane with me to STX is remote! Bummer!
If I miss the flight to STX, then I'll have to go standby on a later one and won't get into STX until late, late, late. The taxi drivers at the STX airport will be sharpening their teeth, waiting for a little red riding hood like me ... all the better to gouge your pocketbook, my dear! They don't like to deliver passengers to the rainforest late at night, so they charge a bundle. One taxi that I used when I came back from a Christmas holiday visit wouldn't even help me carry my bags to my door. He dumped them in my driveway, took my fare, and drove off with nary a fare-the-well! Not only was his dialect extremely difficult to understand, he had terrible manners, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment